Central Bendigo Flood Solutions
Technical study and community discussion, June 2021 – November 2021
Stage 2 of this project is now underway. With community input from Stage 1, the City has reviewed options to ease flooding in the Central Bendigo area and is now considering projects for future funding.
All residents, property owners, businesses and organisations are invited to get involved in the following ways:
Have your say online
Online Survey: Open for responses in November
- Online Survey: Open for responses in November
- Online map
Please register to attend Community Discussions
Come along to an informative evening on flooding in Central Bendigo. Get the most up to date information on how flooding may impact your home, business, and community, and what options are available to reduce these impacts. Ask your questions, input your thoughts on the solutions and options being considered. All with the aim to future infrastructure investments and reduce potential impacts of flooding within Central Bendigo.
Tuesday November 16, 2021, 5:30-7:30pm
Bendigo Bank Theatre – Capital Theatre, 50 View St, Bendigo
[Register here please - for catering purposes]
Thursday November 18, 2021, 7:00pm-8:30pm
Via Zoom technology
[Register here please – for Zoom event information]
Pop by for a chat
- Bendigo Library: Friday November 12, 10am-12noon, 251-259 Hargreaves Street, Bendigo
- Lake Weeroona: Saturday November 13, 10am-12noon, McCrae Street, Bendigo [near the playground and coffee van]
Pick up a flyer or hard copy survey
City of Greater Bendigo, Main office, 15 Hopetoun Street, Bendigo
Get in touch directly
- Write a submission to the City of Greater Bendigo, PO Box 733, Bendigo VIC 3552
- Phone the City’s customer service and leave your comments, attention Project Manager Maria McCrann on (03) 5434 6000
- Email [email protected]
- Comment on the City of Greater Bendigo Facebook Page
Keep up to date
- Receive updates on this project by emailing your name, email address and phone number to: [email protected]
- Or fill the mailing list form
Find out more
Previous investigations have determined that a number of properties within Central Bendigo may be affected by flooding that is specifically as a result of large rainfall events causing overflow of local creeks and waterways.
Significant floods have occurred in the past, including creek and localised flooding following major storm events in 2010, 2011 and 2016.
The risk of flooding in this area could worsen in the future due to a potential increase in extreme weather events as a result of climate change.
The City of Greater Bendigo is taking a proactive approach: initiating an in-depth technical review and community discussion from June 2021 to November 2021. The key objective is to guide decisions about infrastructure development to reduce potential impacts of flooding within Central Bendigo.
Technical analysis will be undertaken by specialist engineers, Water Modelling Solutions, to include:
- updating current flood data using new methodologies to reflect industry learning and new guidelines
- assessing potential options to reduce the future risk of flooding
The project aims to harness local knowledge to help shape priorities to be considered by Council, who will make final decisions. Knowing there’s a wealth of wisdom, knowledge and skill in the community, residents, property owners, businesses and organisations are invited to participate, make comments and suggest ideas. Make A Change Australia is on board to assist with engagement on key issues raised within the study.
Stage 1: Update flood data, inform community, gather ideas
- Thursday June 24, 2021: Information and Ideas Survey open
- Tuesday August 10, 2021: Information and Ideas Community Discussion – Online Session
- Tuesday August 17, 2021: Information and Ideas Community Discussion – Online Session
- Friday August 20, 2021: Close of public submissions/comments for Stage 1
Stage 2: Create and analyse options, source community opinion
- November 2021: Solutions and Options Survey open
- Tuesday November 16, 2021: Solutions and Options Community Discussion – In Person Workshop
- Thursday November 18, 2021: Solutions and Options Community Discussion – Online Session
- Thursday December 9, 2021: Close of public submissions/comments for Stage 2
Bendigo Central FMS
Flood Map Central Bendigo
Information and ideas survey open
Information and ideas -Online Only
Information and ideas - Online Only
Options and solutions - Community discussion
Options and solutions - Online