Kangaroo Flat and Golden Square Flood Mitigation Study
Did you know parts of Kangaroo Flat and Golden Square could flood from major rainfall? The City of Greater Bendigo is reviewing this and investigating new solutions. All residents, property owners, businesses and organisations are invited to get involved!
Previous investigations have determined that a large number of properties within Kangaroo Flat and Golden Square may be affected by flooding that is specifically as a result of large rainfall events causing overflow of local creeks and waterways.
Significant floods have occurred in the past, including creek and localised flooding following major storm events in 2010 and 2011.
The risk of flooding in this area could worsen in the future due to a potential increase in extreme weather events as a result of climate change.
The City of Greater Bendigo is taking a proactive approach: initiating an in-depth technical study and community discussion from August 2019 to March 2020. The key objective is to inform future infrastructure investments and reduce potential impacts of flooding within Kangaroo Flat and Golden Square.
In September 2019, the City invited local residents to share their thoughts and ideas regarding flood mitigation options. Technical experts, Water Modelling Solutions (WMS), have undertaken a preliminary assessment a total of 46 options to determine if they have a desirable effect on flooding and they are feasible.
These options will be reviewed by the Project Control Group, relevant State Government agencies and the City of Greater Bendigo, to narrow down the options to be into a detailed assessment which includes:
- Calculating the financial benefit of the options
- Expected reduction in flood damages
- Completing a detailed cost-estimate
- Identify any land acquisition or boundary realignments that may be required
- Determining the environmental Impacts relevant to the mitigation options
- Evaluating the social implications of the options on the community
- Examining any heritage or cultural heritage requirements
- Assessment of planning and land use impacts on and of the mitigation options
All residents, property owners, businesses and organisations are invited to get involved in the following ways:
Complete the online survey
This survey will be open for residents to provide feedback from Thursday February 20, 2020: bit.ly/KFGS-Flood-Survey-2
Get in touch directly
Stage 1: Update flood data, inform community, gather ideas
- Monday July 29, 2019: Announce project
- July 29 to September 6, 2019: Information and ideas survey open
- Thursday September 5, 2019: Information and ideas community discussion
- Monday September 16, 2019: Close of public submissions/comments for Stage 1
Stage 2: Create and analyse options, source community opinion
- Thursday March 5, 2020: Solutions and options community discussion
- Monday March 16, 2020: Close of public submissions/comments for Stage 2
Additional resources and background information:
Keep informed. Sign up to our mailing list:
Flood Resilience Community Discussions
Get involved, have your say! Come to our community discussions at the Gateway Function Centre on the following dates:
- Options and Solutions. Thursday March 5, 2020 (5:30pm - 7:30pm)
Options Summary: Get the collation of all the options and suggestions from the initial community consultation. Note that some updates or variations were also modeled but might not be included in this report.
Area of Interest
KFGS Study Area