Road closures and traffic management
If you want to close access to a road for your event, you will need to apply for a permit and plan appropriate traffic management.
At least three months before your event, you will need to apply for approvals from:
- The City for all local roads
- VicRoads for highways and major roads
- Victoria Police if a Police permit is required
- Public Transport Victoria – to delay, divert, cancel or require additional PT services. Use the PTV website: Information Kit and Self-Assessment Checklist
Notifying organisations and agencies of a road closure
Once road closure approvals have been granted, you need to provide notification to the following organisations:
- All emergency services – Police, CFA, SES, Ambulance Victoria
- Taxi Association of Bendigo
- Bus services
- Bendigo Hospital
You also need to place a public notice in local papers and inform any business and/or residents who may be affected.
Traffic management plans, signage, barriers, personnel
Only qualified personnel are allowed to perform road closures and provide traffic management assistance.
The City's Works Unit can arrange for the signs, barriers, traffic management plans and personnel on merit via an approval process - fees may apply.