Chemical Disposal and Hard Waste
Detox Your Home – Household Chemical Collection Program
Do you need to safely dispose of unwanted, highly toxic household chemicals? Household chemicals can be dangerous – they can harm your family and your pets, add extra fuel to a house fire, release toxic fumes and pollute the environment for future generations.
Detox Your Home is a safe, free and easy-to-use service to dispose of unwanted, highly toxic household chemicals. The collected items are recovered and diverted from landfill.
There are up to 33 events held across Victoria each year, administered by Sustainability Victoria in partnership with local councils (funded by the Victorian landfill levy).
Detox Your Home was last held in the City of Greater Bendigo on October 28, 2020 and was a great success. The next event date is to be announced.
Disposing of farm chemical containers
DrumMUSTER offers farmers an easy and environmentally friendly way to dispose of empty farming chemical containers.
The program collects eligible non-returnable metal or plastic containers that held 1-205 litres or kgs in declared content of crop production and animal health products.
You can dispose of farm chemical drums at permanent collection sites at Eaglehawk Eco-Centre, Heathcote Transfer Station or the Goornong Transfer Station during normal opening hours. Bookings are essential:
Containers recovered by the drumMUSTER program are recycled into items such as wheelie bins, fence posts and garden stakes.
To assist City of Greater Bendigo in accepting your drumMUSTER containers:
- Please arrive as early as possible to the landfill/transfer station opening time as all containers need to be inspected
- All containers must be flushed, pressure rinsed or triple rinsed prior to delivery to a drumMUSTER site
- Containers will not be accepted if there are any visible chemical residue on the inside or outside of the container.
Permanent drop-off sites for paint and other products
Household paint, batteries, and fluorescent lights – which are less toxic than household chemicals (but also a more common waste item) – can be disposed of throughout the year at a permanent drop-off site.
"Paintback" is a free drop off service for paint that is available at our Eaglehawk, Heathcote and Strathfieldsaye sites. For more information visit the Paintback website.
Detox your Home is a free service designed specifically to collect unwanted, highly toxic household chemicals.
Disposing of household chemicals
The Eaglehawk Recycle Shop is a drop-off site for household chemicals. It accepts the following products:
- Automotive and cooking oil
- Automotive and household batteries
- Barbeque gas bottles
- Compact fluorescent lights and tubes
You can bring unlimited numbers of these products, but containers larger than 20 litres or 20 kg will not be accepted.
Transporting chemicals safely
To transport chemicals safely:
- Travel with chemicals in a trailer or utility, not inside the vehicle
- Keep chemicals in their original containers
- Ensure lids are fitted tightly and protect taps on drums so that they do not break off
- Place containers of liquids on a tray or plastic bucket so that they do not spill or fall
- Pack powders and solids securely
- Keep corrosive chemicals such as battery acid away from poisons
- Keep oxidising agents such as peroxide away from all other materials
- Double wrap old liquid containers in plastic bags to prevent leaking
Hard waste is the non-degradable waste that is too large to fit into a garbage bin. It includes whitegoods, furniture, household appliances, metals, wood, old car parts and tools.
In 2019 the Greater Bendigo City Council carried out a special Reuse and Recycle Home Collection trial to determine whether such a service could be introduced throughout the municipality in the future.
Over 4,900 homes located in Flora Hill, Kennington and Axedale were eligible to participate in the three-month Reuse and Recycle Home Collection trial which took place from June 17, 2019 to September 13, 2019.
Through the trial, participating households were eligible for one free-of-charge collection of certain unwanted re-useable or recyclable household items by booking with the City online.
There were 495 participants that used the trial offer during this three-month period. All 495 participants were surveyed after the trial was completed and 60 per cent of these users advised that they would not utilise the service in the future if there was a cost associated of between $60 - $90 per annum.
The City was able to provide this cost estimation due to an expression of interest process that took place prior to the trial to determine what the cost to each household would be for one collection per annum.
Due to these results, Council has determined that a home collection service will not be introduced at this stage due to the low numbers of participation in the trial and the response from the participants as below.
Do you own or rent the property?
Rent - 25.6%
Own - 74.36%
Would you use the service if there was a fee of $60-$90 added to the cost of your rates for one collection per year?
Yes - 38.92%
No - 61.08%
If you require collection of hard waste goods from your home, please see below a list of private contractors who can assist with your request.
- Eaglehawk Recycle Shop – 189 Upper California Gully Road, Eaglehawk phone 03 5446 3467
- SUEZ Bendigo Services Centre – 29-33 Howard Street, Epsom phone 03 5446 5100
- Cleanaway Cardboard Recycling – Bendigo phone 131 339
- Garden Gully Bin Hire – Bendigo phone 0419 117 238
- Big Boy Recycle bin hire – 132 Maiden Gully Road, Maiden Gully phone 03 5449 6849
- Veolia Recycling Services – Bendigo phone 132 955
- Sandhurst Enterprise Recycling – Piper Lane, Bendigo East phone 03 5441 6795
- Tiger Bin Hire – 3 George Street, Bendigo phone 0467 542 366
- Pig Bins – Bendigo phone 1300 744 246
- One Steel Metal Recycling – 6 Baldock Court, Eaglehawk phone 03 5446 1800
- ALBA Metal Recycling – 3 Wellsford Drive, Bendigo East phone 03 5442 6470
- K.J.P.A Maher Metal Recyclers & Car Removals – 53 Stephenson Street, Huntly phone 03 5448 8122
- Central Vic Recycling (dismantlers, auto parts) – 32A Caldwells Road, Eaglehawk phone 0401 193 430
To locate the Detox Centre, please enter from the Eaglehawk Landfill entrance on Upper California Gully Road, Eaglehawk.
For more information about our waste collection and disposal services please contact us on 03 5434 6000.
A-Z Guide for waste
Download an A-Z guide for waste disposal.