Detox your Home – Household Chemical Collection Program
Do you need to safely dispose of unwanted, highly toxic household chemicals? Household chemicals can be dangerous – they can harm your family and your pets, add extra fuel to a house fire, release toxic fumes and pollute the environment for future generations.
Detox your Home is a safe, free and easy-to-use service to dispose of unwanted, highly toxic household chemicals without harming your health or the environment.
The collected items are recovered and diverted from landfill.
There are up to 33 Detox your Home events held across Victoria each year to ensure reasonable access for all Victorian householders. The program is administered by Sustainability Victoria in partnership with local councils and is funded by the Victorian landfill levy.
Visit the Detox your Home website for a complete list of upcoming events and accepted products.
Detox your Home. Do the right thing for your loved ones and your environment. It’s easy and it’s free.
Permanent drop-off sites for paint and other products
Household paint, batteries, and fluorescent lights – which are less toxic than household chemicals (but also a more common waste item) – can be disposed of throughout the year at a permanent drop-off site.
"Paintback" is a free drop off service for paint that is available at our Eaglehawk, Heathcote and Strathfieldsaye sites. For more information visit https://www.paintback.com.au/
Detox your Home, on the other hand, is a free service designed specifically to collect unwanted, highly toxic household chemicals.
For more information and a full list of permanent drop-off sites visit Sustainability Victoria's website or contact us on 5434 6000.
Disposing of household chemicals
The Eaglehawk Recycle Shop is a drop-off site for household chemicals. It accepts the following products:
- Automotive and cooking oil
- Automotive and household batteries
- Barbeque gas bottles
- Compact fluorescent lights and tubes
You can bring unlimited numbers of these products, but containers larger than 20 litres or 20 kg will not be accepted.
Transporting chemicals safely
To transport chemicals safely:
- Travel with chemicals in a trailer or utility, not inside the vehicle
- Keep chemicals in their original containers
- Ensure lids are fitted tightly and protect taps on drums so that they do not break off
- Place containers of liquids on a tray or plastic bucket so that they do not spill or fall
- Pack powders and solids securely
- Keep corrosive chemicals such as battery acid away from poisons
- Keep oxidising agents such as peroxide away from all other materials
- Double wrap old liquid containers in plastic bags to prevent leaking
To locate the Detox Centre, please enter from the Eaglehawk Landfill Entrance road on Upper California Gully Road, Eaglehawk.
For more information about our waste collection and disposal services please contact us on 03 5434 6000.
A-Z Guide for Waste
Download an A-Z guide for Waste Disposal.