Residents in urban Bendigo and Marong are now receiving a fortnightly organics collection service for all food and garden waste.
The services has been introduced to divert organic material from landfill to be recycled and turned into a rich compost, this has a positive effect on the environment and it will also assist in extending the life of local landfill. It will reduce the current and future financial liabilities that must be paid to the State Government in the form of a levy on every tonne of waste that we put into our landfill.
The new three bin system now consists of:
- FORTNIGHTLY collection of your 240 litre lime green lid organics bin
- FORTNIGHTLY collection of your 240 litre/360 litre yellow or blue lid recycling bin
- WEEKLY collection of your red or dark green lid waste bin
The organics bins will be collected by Four Seasons Waste after they won the collection contract and the material collected will be taken to Biomix in Stanhope to be processed into compost.
Organics collection dates
- Check organics collection dates for your residential address
What goes in the organics bin
The following can be put in your organics bin:
- Food scraps including vegetable peels, fruit scraps, dairy products, bread, rice, pasta or cereal
- Fish and other seafood, including oyster shells (cooked or raw)
- Meat, poultry and bones (cooked or raw)
- Eggs and egg shells
- Coffee grounds
- Tea bags and tea leaves
- Garden waste including prunings, grass clippings, sticks, weeds and flowers
- Paper towels and tissues
- Pizza boxes
Do not put in your organics bin:
- Household garbage
- Plastic bags, or wrapping such as cling wrap
- Nappies, incontinence products and aids
- Treated/laminated timber
- Old clothing
Free green waste disposal weekends
The City currently provides residents with free green waste disposal throughout the year. On these dates, residents can drop off their green waste at the Eaglehawk Eco-Centre or the Heathcote Landfill free of charge.
Please note the only materials that will be accepted are tree prunings, garden clippings, grass and leaf litter. Commercial loads of green waste will not be accepted.
Free green waste disposal weekends will be held on the following dates in 2017:
- April 22 and 23
- May 20 and 21
Apply for an organics collection exemption
If you can demonstrate that you already manage all organic material effectively on the property, you may be granted an exemption from the City’s organic collection service.
How do I get additional caddy liners?
Additional compostable caddy liners can be obtained free of charge from the City’s Lyttleton Terrace office, by phoning Customer Service on 5434 6000 or by ordering online.
For more information about our waste collection and disposal services please contact us on 03 5434 6000.