Bushfire Management Overlay Mapping

CFA and community

The Minister for Planning has approved revised Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO) mapping into a number of Planning Scheme’s across the State of Victoria. In Greater Bendigo an additional 10,600 properties are affected.

The Minister used his powers under the Planning and Environment Act (1987) to approve these changes without notifying affected land owners.

Of these 10,600 additional properties:

  • 600 are crown land
  • 9,000 already have a dwelling

If you want to find out if your property is affected by the revised BMO you can use Community Compass - Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO). Click the magnifying glass button in the top left of Community Compass and type in your address. 

The State Government have also prepared a short video explaining how the revised BMO was derived and what it means for landowners: https://youtu.be/AAaaoxyGqSk

If you already have a dwelling on your property the changes are unlikely to affect you unless you are intending to do a major extension to your dwelling or construct a shed greater than 100m2. If you have a building permit to erect a dwelling this permit is unaffected by the changes, but you will be required to supply a water tank for fire fighting purposes.

If you don’t have a dwelling on your property you will now be required to get a planning permit. If you have a planning permit application that hasn’t been decided then the changes will also affect you. View further information about the planning permit process

The State Government have committed to reviewing the mapping each year. If you think the mapping criteria has been incorrectly applied to your land there is a form available for down load below that will feed into the next review.

The BMO allows you to clear any trees within 10 metres of your house and any other vegetation (shrubs, etc) within 50 metres of your house without the need to get any planning permit. This is called the 10/50 rule.

There are no requirements to make any changes to an existing house as a result of the changes. You are encouraged to prepare a Fire Ready Kit and more information can be found at http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/fire-ready-kit/

The Minister for Planning has powers under the Act to introduce controls without any notification. If you have concerns with this you should contact the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning on 1300 366 356 to discuss.

Council has no influence over private insurance. You are encouraged to seek independent advice on the appropriate level of building insurance. Further information can be found at the Insurance Council’s website at: http://understandinsurance.com.au/types-of-disasters/bushfires

Further information can be found below that includes:

Information can also be found at Department of Environment Land Water and Planning website at www.planning.vic.gov.au/policy-and-strategy/bushfire

Copies of the maps are on display at Council’s Hopetoun Mill and Heathcote Office and a copy of the mapping as it applies to you land can be sent out to you by calling the City of Greater Bendigo on 1300 002 642.

Contact us

If you have any questions on this project or any of our projects please contact the Strategic Planning unit on 1300 002 642 or [email protected]

More information

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*