Food System Strategy
Have your say on draft Greater Bendigo’s Food System Strategy 2020-2030!
The City of Greater Bendigo has led the development of Greater Bendigo’s Food System Strategy 2020-2030 and a draft is available for public review and comment for the month of February.
The Strategy utilises a collective impact framework, which is based on the knowledge that individual actions and efforts are limited, but when we work together towards a common aim we maximise our impact. Over 30 organisations and groups have committed to either leading or supporting key actions listed within the 10 year Strategy Action Plan. The Strategy’s shared vision, guiding principles and objectives are listed below:
Greater Bendigo’s food system is healthy, equitable and sustainable and supports the local economy, culture and health and wellbeing of our communities.
- A healthy food system that promotes the health of people and enhances the natural environment
- An equitable food system that makes nutritious and culturally appropriate food accessible and affordable to everyone across our communities
- A sustainable food system that strengthens our local economy and builds the capacity and resilience of our communities
- Enable communities to access safe, affordable, nutritious and culturally appropriate food and drinks
- Strengthen and support a sustainable local food economy that enables the growth, production and sale of healthy food locally
- Support local food growing and producing, sourcing, cooking and sharing knowledge, skills and culture
- Reduce and divert food waste from landfill
Why is this Strategy important?
- Every person in the community is impacted by our food system on one level or another and we need to make sure Greater Bendigo’s food system is healthy and meeting the needs of the community
- Greater Bendigo has high rates of overweight and obesity and residents are not consuming enough fruit and vegetables each day
- Supporting local food systems can significantly enhance the health and wellbeing of communities, improve the availability of and access to nutritious food, strengthen the local economy, and revitalise urban and natural environments
Please consider the following questions when reviewing the draft documents:
- Will the 10 year action plan help us achieve our vision of creating a healthy, equitable and sustainable food system?
- Is there anything not in the Strategy or action plan that you believe should be included?
- Is there anything within the Strategy that is unclear and could cause issues if not clarified?
- Is there any general feedback you’d like to provide?
Please provide feedback to Bec Huddy, Food Systems Officer, via one of the following methods:
- Online: complete contact form below
- Email: [email protected]
- Written correspondence, either:
- posted to PO Box 733, Bendigo, VIC 3552
- dropped into the City’s Customer Service Centre at 15 Hopetoun Street, Bendigo
- Phone: (03) 5434 6000
Have your say
If you have any questions about Greater Bendigo’s Food System Strategy, please contact us on 03 5434 6000.