Golden Square Strategic Plan
The city has commenced the development of a strategy to manage future residential and employment growth in Golden Square.
The new plan will explore a future vision for the area so that it can grow and develop in a coordinated way that meets the needs of the community.
The project is being undertaken in partnership with the Victorian Planning Authority and aims to develop a framework which will provide direction to transform the area over time. The plan will help to drive employment, improve liveability, make better use of existing infrastructure and vacant land, and consider a plan for residential and commercial growth.
Preliminary consultation occurred earlier this year with the key themes being:
- A strong sense of community particularly with links to sporting groups
- Great location – access to City Centre, services and facilities
- Support moderate sensitive change
- Value the heritage and character of the area
- Want improved public transport
- Improve and upgrade town centre
- Want more commercial activity
- Don’t want to lose the village feel of the area
This information has helped inform the development of a draft plan which was presented to Council on August 19, 2020. Council resolved to place on exhibition the Draft Golden Square Framework Plan, Background Report and Urban Design Framework (UDF) for community comment.
The Plan aims to develop a land use framework to transform the suburb over time. The Plan will help to drive employment, improve liveability, make better use of existing vacant land, and consider a plan for residential, commercial and industrial growth.
The Plan considers matters including:
- Movement and Transport
- Heritage and Character
- Built Form and Public Realm
- Economic Growth and Employment
- Community Facilities, Open Space and Recreation
- Environmental Considerations
- Social Infrastructure
To support the implementation an Urban Design Framework has been prepared for the Golden Square Town Centre, former Primary School site and Station precinct. The aim of the UDF is to provide certainty in the guidance of future development within the UDF area. The goals of the UDF are to:
- Establish a clear and integrated vision for the Golden Square Town Centre and Station Precinct;
- Guide the use and development of the area through objectives, planning and design requirements and guidelines;
- Establish an implementation program of statutory and strategic initiatives; and
- Define key projects and infrastructure required to support sustainable growth and development.
While a formal Planning Scheme Amendment is not proposed as part of this stage of the project, draft amendment documentation has been prepared to accompany the consultation phase allowing the community to have an understanding of recommended changes.
A formal Planning Scheme Amendment will be undertaken separately and will include a formal exhibition process.
We are now seeking your feedback on the documents until 5pm on Monday September 21, 2020.
Email: [email protected]
Attention: Golden Square Strategic Plan Project
Regional Sustainable Development
City of Greater Bendigo
PO Box 733
BENDIGO VIC 3552
Two public online sessions for consultation with the community will be held on Thursday 10 September:
Session 1 – 10.30am to 12.30pm
Session 2 – 5.30pm to 7.30pm
RSVP for either session by emailing [email protected] and a Zoom meeting link will be sent to you. Note: you do not have to attend for the full two hours, you can 'drop in' to the session at any time within the two-hour slot to chat about the draft documents.
In your RSVP please provide:
- Your name
- Any specific questions/properties you would like to discuss (to ensure all information is available at the session).
Call: Wonona Fuzzard, Coordinator Public Spaces and Place Making on 03 5434 6000.
Golden Square Heritage Study
Please note that Council is also undertaking the Golden Square Heritage Study which is inviting community input until August 31, 2020. Should you wish to discuss this study or other heritage matters please contact the Amendments and Heritage Team on 03 5434 6000 or email [email protected]