Get involved in your community
The following are some suggestions to get involved in the community, meet new people and find out more about Bendigo. We would also encourage you to use a search engine to discover the many community groups across Greater Bendigo related to your interests.
Peter Krenz Centre (PKC), Eaglehawk – redevelopment options
Would you like to play a key role in helping to shape PKC’s future?
We’re seeking up to eight community representatives to work with us in developing some PKC redevelopment options.
As a community representative you’ll play a key role in helping to build a shared understanding of the key PKC issues and opportunities, what the vision and guiding principles for any PKC redevelopment options should be, and how any PKC redevelopment options could support community needs.
The project presents an opportunity to re-invigorate PKC as a vibrant community hub that:
- Provides a service mix that supports a diverse range of community health and wellbeing, social connectivity and lifelong learning needs
- Better integrates with and supports the activation of its high-profile surrounds
- Incorporates environmentally sustainable development (ESD) principles
- Is financially responsible (from both capital and operating cost perspectives)
We’re seeking expressions of interest from community representatives who possess a combination of the following attributes:
- Live in Eaglehawk or a neighbouring area
- Can participate in three workshops during mid-July to mid-August 2020
- Are willing to have some conversations about the project with other community members in late-July / early-August 2020 to gather their input
- Have community leadership experience
- Have an ability to think strategically
- Have community facility planning, governance, management and / or use experience
- Can network with a diverse range of community members
The objectives of the three workshops to be held during mid-July to mid-August 2020 will be to:
- Promote shared learning regarding community service needs and gaps
- Promote shared learning regarding PKC challenges and opportunities
- Ensure aspirations and apprehensions regarding any PKC redevelopment are consistently understood and appropriately considered
- Support a collaborative approach to planning for any PKC redevelopment
It’s anticipated that each workshop will require up to 3 hours of your time.
To submit an expression of interest in being one of the eight community representatives, please tell us a little about yourself and your attributes.
Expressions of interest close at 5pm on Wednesday July 1, 2020.
If you would like to have a confidential discussion about this community representative opportunity, please contact Deb Simpson at [email protected]
Bendigo Young Professionals Network (YPN)
Bendigo Young Professionals Network (YPN) is a network for young professionals, helping young people build a profile in the community for themselves and their business.
Activities include business and social networking, professional development workshops and inspirational speaker events. If you are a career-oriented person in your 20s or 30s, YPN welcomes you.
Phone: 03 5442 7816
Loddon Campaspe Multicultural Services
Loddon Campaspe Multicultural Services provides advice and support, resources and information to migrants and their families. The service also connects new arrivals with people from their own or similar cultures.
Location: 120 McCrae Street Bendigo
Phone: 03 5441 6644
Go to the Loddon Campaspe Multicultural Services website.
Public libraries operate in Bendigo, Eaglehawk, Heathcote and Kangaroo Flat as part of Goldfields Library Corporation.
Our libraries offer a range of services including free children's story time activities, free Internet and computer services and a delivery service for people whose illness or disability restricts them from visiting a library.
Opening hours vary. Go to Libraries.
Bendigo Volunteer Resource Centre
Bendigo Volunteer Resource Centre matches volunteers to not-for-profit organisations.
Location: Allan's Walk Bendigo
Phone: 03 5441 1404
Go to the Bendigo Volunteer Resource Centre website.
Bendigo Visitor Centre
Not just for tourists, the Bendigo Visitor Centre provides new residents with recommendations on the best places to go and things to see. It also provides a chance for locals to join our volunteer team that is a great way to get to know your new home and make friends. View our latest volunteering opportunities.
Location: 51-67 Pall Mall, Bendigo
Phone: 03 5434 6060 or 1800 813 153
Go to the Bendigo Tourism website.
Churches and places of worship
Many churches and places of worship list their weekly services in the public notices section in the Saturday edition of The Bendigo Advertiser.