Civic events include civic receptions with an important guest of honour, receptions that recognise an extraordinary contribution to the community and community celebrations of openings, initiatives and events. We also conduct citizenship ceremonies.
Citizen of the Year awards
Congratulations to the 2023 City of Greater Bendigo Citizen of the Year Trevor Strauch and the Young Citizens of the Year, Amelia Leach-Unmeopa and Mitchell Graham.
A civic reception is the highest level of Council function, which involves the guest(s) of honour and invited guests approved by the Mayor. The following dignitaries fall within this category:
- The Queen or her Heirs as the Sovereign of Australia
- Governor of Victoria
- Prime Minister
- Premier of Victoria
- International Religious and Political Leaders
- Mayoral Induction
Recognition receptions are held to acknowledge outstanding and extraordinary contributions to the local community (sporting, arts, culture, business, welfare, religious or political) by a person or group.
A community celebration typically provides the following:
- Launches for significant project initiatives that are ongoing or conducted over 2 or more financial years as recommended by the responsible Director
- Official openings for significant regional capital works projects
- Official openings for significant local capital works projects or as required by grant agreements
- Anniversaries of significant historical events or assets
Citizenship ceremonies are conducted by the City of Greater Bendigo on a regular basis throughout the year.
To begin the process of becoming an Australian citizen, contact the Department of Home Affairs.
When the application has been approved by the department, the Civic Events Officer from the City of Greater Bendigo will contact the applicant and advise them of the date of the next ceremony.
At the formal ceremony the recipient will make the Australian Citizenship pledge and the Mayor will present their citizenship certificate. They will also receive a small gift from the City of Greater Bendigo and an Australian native plant from Inner Wheel as a memento of the occasion. Friends and family are welcome to attend and take photographs.