Fences abutting Council land

The City of Greater Bendigo will contribute half of the cost for construction, replacement or repair (including timber plinth) for standard Colorbond fences abutting qualifying Council-owned properties. This is as per the Fences Act 1968 (Fences Amendment Act 2014). 

The City will not contribute to “half cost fencing” where:

  • Properties are adjacent to Crown Land (including where Council is the Land Manager)
  • Properties are adjacent to “roads” including road reserves, laneway, walkways and right of ways
  • Properties are adjacent to reserves that are vested in Council
  • Properties are adjacent to other authority’s land (e.g. Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Coliban Water, VicTrack)
  • Properties that are not ‘owned’ (freehold) by Council 

Approval must be obtained prior to any repair or replacement of fences. The City will not consider contribution after works have commenced or are completed. Vehicle or pedestrian gates are not permitted.

Half cost fencing enquiry

To clarify your neighbouring property’s ownership status please complete the half cost fencing eligibility enquiry form.

Contact a neighbour about fencing

To find out the name and address of an adjoining landowner for the purpose of fencing, please complete a request for adjoining landowner details for fencing purposes.


For more information about half-cost fencing contact:

[email protected]

1300 002 642