The City of Greater Bendigo’s annual Summer in the Parks program kicks off with the lighting of the Christmas tree in Rosalind Park on Friday evening, December 1 from 6.30pm to 9pm.
With support from the City, Agnico Eagle Australia Fosterville (formerly known as Fosterville Goldmine) and local community groups and organisations, the 2023/2024 Summer in the Parks calendar features free or low-cost events and activities during December, January and February in the parks and Hargreaves Mall.
Mayor Cr Andrea Metcalf said the lighting of the Christmas tree in the piazza in Rosalind Park was an exciting countdown to Christmas and the start of the popular Summer in the Parks program.
“The traditional lighting of the tree marks the start of the festive season so it’s an exciting time for the community,” Cr Metcalf said.
"The Christmas tree will be lit at approximately 8.45pm and there will be entertainment beforehand from 6.30pm onwards, including roving Christmas characters, circus activities for children from Connected Circus, music and Christmas carols with popular local singer and musician Sherri Parry.
"The Bendigo letters will also be given a new Christmas makeover so the piazza will look very festive for photo opportunities during the day and at night.
"I am also delighted that closer to Christmas the Summer in the Parks program includes many popular festive events across the region including carols in our beautiful parks."
- Community Christmas Festival on Saturday December 2 at Garden for the Future, White Hills from 5pm to 8pm
- Maiden Gully Christmas Carols on Sunday December 3 at Maiden Gully Recreation Reserve, Maiden Gully from 5pm to 7.30pm
- Axedale Christmas Carols at Axedale Park, Axedale on Sunday December 10 from 5.30pm to 8.30pm
- Eaglehawk Christmas Carols at Canterbury Park on Sunday December 10 from 6pm to 9pm
- Heathcote Christmas Carols at Barrack Reserve, Heathcote on Saturday December 16 from 7pm to 9pm
- Rotary Club of Bendigo Carols by Candlelight at Rosalind Park on Sunday December 17 from 6.30pm to 10.30pm
- Community Farmers Market “Christmas Market” at Dai Gum San on Thursday December 21 from 4pm to 7.30pm
"New Year’s Eve will be celebrated with the traditional fireworks at 9.15pm and at midnight from the Poppet Head in Rosalind Park where you can see the sky light up from the Queen Elizabeth Oval.
"Please be aware the QEO car park will be closed from 6am Sunday December 31 until 6am Monday January 1, 2024.
"It’s important to ensure your animals and pets are secure and kept safe during the New Year celebrations.
"There’s plenty more outdoor fun in January and February with Summer in the Parks program presenting a wide range of live music events and classic movie nights under the stars so there’s something for everyone.
"It’s a perfect opportunity to enjoy free entertainment and activities in our beautiful parks and in the city centre, support our local hospitality and dine out or picnic with family and friends.”
To keep updated on the Summer in the Parks program of events, activities, times, and dates, please visit: