The Greater Bendigo City Council has adopted the 2030 Greater Bendigo Zero Emissions Roadmap which contains 35 priority projects and 50 advocacy positions covering the topics of energy, transport, food and agriculture, nature and circular economy.
City of Greater Bendigo Mayor, Cr Andrea Metcalf said the 2030 Zero Emissions Roadmap is the primary outcome to date, of the Greater Bendigo Climate Collaboration (GBCC), established in late 2021.
“The GBCC brought together stakeholders from across the City to identify and implement project and advocacy initiatives to achieve zero emissions by 2030,” Cr Metcalf said.
“Over 1,500 people to date, have had input into the Roadmap, including GBCC partner organisations Agnico Eagle, Bendigo Bank, RACV Solar, Coliban Water, La Trobe University, CVGT Employment, North Central Catchment Management Authority, Bendigo Foodshare, Bike Bendigo, Bendigo Sustainability Group, ACF Community Bendigo District.”
The Roadmap recommends the following:
- Electrify everything - support homes and businesses to get off gas, become energy efficient and install solar power
- Transport revolution - transform walking and cycling infrastructure and bus and train services to prioritise active travel and public transport, facilitate transport choice and accelerate the transition to electric vehicles
- Protect and enhance nature – deliver the City’s Biodiversity Strategy
- Sustainable food - facilitate the transition to zero carbon farms and support urban and peri-urban local food production
- Circular economy – support initiatives that reduce consumption and increase local reprocessing of resources
Some key priorities for the next 12 months are:
- Establish a program to support businesses to reduce emissions.
- Co-design and deliver a program with welfare agencies to support low wealth homes with energy retrofits and electrification.
- Further explore establishment of an independently governed Community Wealth Fund to receive philanthropic and partner contributions to fund emission reduction projects.
- Advocate for a review of the City’s bus services.
- Explore establishment of an Integrated Transport Planner position.
- Embed the Healthy Landscapes regenerative agriculture program as an ongoing program.
- Continue to work with the North Central CMA on the Community Carbon off-set program.
- Gain funding and cross-organisational support to continue the Greater Bendigo Climate Collaboration.