The City of Greater Bendigo’s Ignite winter program brings together an exciting range of heartwarming events to entertain residents and visitors this season.
Manager Tourism and Major Events Terry Karamaloudis said there was something for everyone with over 40 experiences lined up in the winter events calendar.
“This is a great time to rug up and ignite your senses, spirit and imagination with immersive experiences, free exhibitions and mouthwatering gastronomic offerings to keep you entertained this season,” Mr Karamaloudis said.
“Electric Wonderland is a new event set to transform Rosalind Park in a kaleidoscope of colour each night during the school holidays, starting this Friday June 23 and running until Sunday July 9.
“This immersive starry night experience has not been seen before in Bendigo so get ready to be mesmerised by large scale illuminated sculptures, a vivid 360 degree laser alley light show, musical stepping stones and a garden of giant blooming flowers that will transform the park after dark into an unforgettable wonderland. Booking is required so start planning now.”
The Ignite winter program has a variety of experiences and entertainment for residents and visitors. Here’s a snapshot:
- The Australian Women’s Weekly: 90 years of an Australian Icon is a free exhibition at Bendigo Art Gallery until Sunday August 27 to mark the publication’s extraordinary contribution over the past 90 years
- Australiana: Designing a Nation at Bendigo Art Gallery is a free exhibition so don’t miss out as it ends this Sunday June 25
- Cloak is a free exhibition at the Living Arts Space until Sunday September 3. Six artists weave their magic exploring the many ways textiles are used in our daily lives
- Hargreaves Mall will have fun-packed free events on selected days during the school holidays. Separate events include a Spiderman jumping castle, painting activity, sheep dog demo, soft blocks for toddlers, parkour demonstrations, Viking Leather craft, Bush Dance and BBQ and live music
- Barrel Wine Tasting weekend is on Saturday 8 and Sunday July 9. For one weekend only each year, Bendigo’s winegrowers at various locations open their barrel rooms giving people the opportunity to sample maturing wines straight from the barrel and learn more about the magic of winemaking
- Enlighten at the Great Stupa on July 8 will be an immersive light experience at the Peace Park with sculptures, roaming performers, and delicious food
- Australian Sheep and Wool Show over three days at the Prince of Wales Showgrounds from Friday July 14 to Sunday July 16 brings together the country’s most passionate people involved in the food, fashion, and fibre industries, including the popular Women of Wool
- Moonlight Market presents a winter pop up edition with shopping, food, and fun at Hargreaves Mall on Saturday July 15 from 3pm to 8pm
- Explore our rich history and culture through new immersive walking tours, joining knowledgeable Djaara guides and delve into our Djandak (Country).
- Same Country, Different Interpretations on Saturday August 5 at Dudley House (60 View Street, Bendigo) explores the deep connection between identity, culture, personal history, and timelessness of the natural landscape. This is a collaborative work from regional artists Judy Hutchins and Elaine van Dyk as part of the Artists on View program
- Bendigo on the Hop is a favourite winter craft beer festival held at venues across the city centre and at breweries. Enjoy rare beers, locally made craft beers, food, and live entertainment on Saturday August 26
- Groove Tram and Blues Trams – all aboard the restored vintage trams for a tour of the city with great views and live music (see website for different music acts)
- Discover the new Planetarium at the Bendigo Science and Discovery Centre
- Star Cinema is an official regional venue for this year’s 71st Melbourne International Film Festival from Friday August 11 to Sunday 13 and from Friday August 18 to 20 August
- Explore why Bendigo was chosen as Australia’s first UNESCO Creative City of Gastronomy with a great range of foodie and beverage experiences, tours, and masterclasses. Follow the Sweet Treat Trail which pays homage to favourite Women’s Weekly recipes with delicious cakes, muffins, slices and colourful cocktails at various locations
- 10CC: The Ultimate Greatest Hits Tour on Wednesday June 28 at Ulumbarra Theatre
- Women of Wit 2023 on Friday June 30 at The Capital
- The Alphabet of Awesome Science on Wednesday July 5 at The Capital
- Hello! We’re the Wiggles Live in Concert on Monday July 10 at Ulumbarra Theatre
- Fastlove – A Tribute to George Michael on Sunday July 16 at Ulumbarra Theatre
- The Sunshine Club tells the story of an Aboriginal soldier Frank Doyle in this acclaimed musical on Thursday July 20 at Ulumbarra Theatre
- Frankie’s Guys – a tribute to Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons on Wednesday August 2 at The Capital
- Forever 80s – Best of the 80s Tour on Saturday August 5 at The Capital
- Genesis Baroque Ensemble performs Sebastian Bach’s works for strings on Saturday August 5 at Bendigo Town Hall
- Arj Barker: Power Hour on Saturday August 12 at The Capital
For more details on the full Ignite winter program and to book tickets for Electric Wonderland, please visit: https://www.bendigoregion.com.au/explore-bendigo/ignite-bendigo-0