With the 2023 Bendigo Easter Festival just days away, residents and visitors are encouraged to plan their trip to and from the event during the busy long weekend.
City of Greater Bendigo Manager, Tourism and Major Events Terry Karamaloudis said it was important for people to be aware of the road closures and detours in the city centre.
“The road closures are necessary to meet the needs of staging Bendigo’s biggest community festival and accommodate thousands of people flocking to the events and activities in the city centre,” Mr Karamaloudis said.
“An important consideration for people who live and work in the city centre is that cars must not be parked in the festival precinct after 6am on Good Friday April 7.
“Car users who are planning on socialising on Thursday evening need to park cars away from the festival precinct area in case you decide to leave your car overnight in the city centre and catch a taxi home. The streets to avoid are View Street, Pall Mall, Mundy Street, Chapel Street and Lyttleton Terrace during this time.
“No matter what the reason is, parked cars left overnight in designated festival areas will be impacted by road closures and you may have difficulty retrieving your car the next day.
“The City would like to take this opportunity to thank residents and local businesses for their understanding and patience while these temporary road closures are in place so we can stage our fantastic festival for thousands of people to enjoy,” Mr Karamaloudis said.
- Pall Mall will be closed for the long weekend until 6pm on Easter Sunday April 9
- Other surrounding roads are closed at various times over next weekend and detours will be in place. You are encouraged to view the road closure map on the Bendigo Easter Festival website
- An accessibility map on the Bendigo Easter Festival website details suitable accessible parking areas (please have a disabled parking permit on display) and parade viewing areas for people using motorised scooters and wheelchairs
- Hargreaves Street and Edward Street multistorey car parks will have extended opening times and parking will be free. Some car parks in the festival precinct will be closed at various times, including the Queen Elizabeth Oval, Tom Flood Sports Centre, Mundy Street and McCrae Street car parks
- Bicycle parking is available in Rosalind Park at the View Street end (please bring your own bike lock)
- Bendigo Tramways Park ‘n’ Ride Tram shuttle ticket is a great option to travel easily to and from the city centre. Tram stops are at Central Deborah Gold Mine, Lake Weeroona and Bendigo Joss House Temple and tickets are valid all day, $5 per person (children 15 and under are free)
- Public Transport Victoria (PTV) will operate over the Easter weekend. Festival activities will require several bus stop closures in the city centre and subsequent route detours. For details, visit PTV’s website: https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/
For broader festival information, including a map for road closures, accessibility, and the full program, visit: https://www.bendigoeasterfestival.org.au/