A proposed Planning Scheme Amendment has been prepared to implement the recommendations of the Marong Township Structure Plan 2020, the Marong Heritage Citations 2018 and the Marong Flood Study 2018.
The land affected is within and adjacent to the township of Marong and the proposed Amendment C263gben proposes the following changes to the Greater Bendigo Planning Scheme:
- Rezoning land within the Marong township from Township Zone to residential, commercial, and mixed-use zones, including introducing the Neighbourhood Residential Zone
- Rezoning recreational, sporting and vegetation conservation areas in public ownership to Public Park and Recreation Zone or Public Conservation Resource Zone
- Rezoning the Fletchers Creek Road area to apply a new schedule to Low Density Residential Zone
- Removing existing Development Plan Overlay Schedule 6, Townships, from Marong
- Applying new overlays to guide development, character, preservation of historical places and land subject to flooding, including introduction of the Floodway Overlay
- Inserting a new local area plan for Marong to insert strategies and plans to achieve the planning outcomes sought by the Marong Township Structure Plan and to identify four new future residential growth precincts in the east, west and south of the township
- Updating existing local planning policy relating to activity centre classification and commercial floor areas, floodplain management and the walking and cycling network
- Updating to operational provisions to introduce incorporated and background documents, new map pages and revise further strategic work clauses to reflect the work undertaken as part of this amendment
In line with the Marong Township Structure Plan, four growth precincts are identified for future development. Marong is expected to grow over the next 25 years with an estimated population of 8,000 people. Any future rezoning amendments from landowners or developers would still be subject to a separate public notification and consultation process as they occur.
City of Greater Bendigo Director Strategy and Growth Steve Hamilton said residents, landowners and business owners were encouraged to view Amendment C263gben and take advantage of planned information sessions.
“The City is running two drop-in sessions during the public exhibition timeframe where you can talk to City planners to better understand any potential changes that may affect your property and the township as a whole.”
Both drop-in sessions are at Marong Community Hall in Torrens Street (booking is not required).
• From 2.30pm to 6pm on Tuesday June 6
• From 5.30pm to 7.30pm on Tuesday June 13
The amendment, explanatory notes and supporting documents can be seen at:
- The Department of Transport and Planning at https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/schemes-and-amendments/amending-a-planning-scheme/planning-documents-on-exhibition
- The City of Greater Bendigo website at https://www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/Services/Building-and-Planning/Planning-scheme-amendments
- At the City of Greater Bendigo office at 15 Hopetoun Street, Bendigo. To make a request to inspect the documents, please call the City of Greater Bendigo on 1300 002 642 or email [email protected]
If you prefer to discuss the proposals in more detail, please contact either Alison Kiefel or Andrew Cockerall on 1300 002 642 or email to [email protected]
If you would like to make a formal submission, it needs to be in writing. Submissions can be emailed to [email protected] or sent to Strategic Planning unit, City of Greater Bendigo, PO Box 733, Bendigo 3552.
The proposed amendment is on public exhibition for six weeks and all written submissions must be received by close of business on Friday July 7.