Filming in Bendigo

There are two types of filming activity that require different permissions:

  • Commercial filming – apply for a permit
  • Low-impact filming – request permission

All commercial filming activities must apply for a permit for the use of a public space. Commercial filming includes television, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries and music videos. A permit helps us to ensure the activity is in accordance with the regulations of this council.

Filming permit fees

We do not charge fees for processing permit applications.

We may charge filming activities a service fee if Council personnel are required to be present during filming or for the provision of additional services and resources that have been requested from Council.

Requesting permission for low impact filming

If your filming activities are minor and ‘low impact’ you need to obtain our permission.

Low impact filming activities are defined by these criteria:

  • Includes six people or less (includes all production crew and talent)
  • No more than one camera, one tripod and handheld sound recording equipment
  • Public safety is maintained at all times and all public pathways, footpaths and roads must not be blocked

To approve a low impact filming activity, we’ll require proof of your current public liability insurance and 5 business days' notice.


For more information please contact the Arts Officer on:

[email protected]

03 5434 6100