Registration of beauty hair and skin penetration businesses. How to apply, renew registration, ensure a business is compliant before purchase.
All beauty, hair and skin penetration businesses operating in Victoria must register with their local Council and comply with the Public Health & Wellbeing Act 2008 and its associated Regulations.
Beauty, hair and skin penetration businesses include:
- Beauty therapists/treatments (including electrolysis, waxing, nails etc.)
- Colonic irrigation
- Skin penetration (including ear piercing, body piercing, dry needling etc.)
Starting a new beauty, hair and skin penetration business
If you are starting a new beauty, hair or skin penetration business in Bendigo you need to register this business with council.
To register you need to submit:
- An application to register or transfer a hair, beauty or skin penetration business
- Floor plans showing:
- Layout of all equipment, fittings and fixtures
- Types of surfaces/materials for walls, floors, ceilings, equipment and fittings
- Location of the water supply, waste disposal, lighting, ventilation, sinks and hand washing basins, storage areas and toilets etc.
We will review your plans, process and advise you of any outstanding items. This takes a minimum of 14 days.
Ongoing registration of a low risk health premises
Eligible businesses are able to apply for ongoing registration. Eligible businesses are considered to provide hairdressing services and/or low risk beauty therapy services.
Hairdressing services includes:
- Cutting hair with scissors or razors; and
- Colouring and styling of hair
Low risk beauty therapy is defined as the application of cosmetics that does not involve skin penetration or tattooing, and includes:
- Temporary makeup
- Henna tattoos
- Spray tans
- Eyelash and eyebrow tinting
Renewing your business registration
All registrations expire on 30 June each year.
Registered businesses will receive renewal paperwork in May of each year.
Please remember to pay your renewal prior to the expiry date to ensure your business continues to be registered and to avoid additional fees.
Transferring ownership of a beauty, hair and skin penetration business
If you are selling your business you must transfer your registration into the new owner’s name.
An application must be submitted and an inspection will be conducted by an Environmental Health Officer. A Certificate of Transfer will be issued once we have received proof of settlement. A certificate of transfer must be issued before the new proprietors can commence trading.
To transfer ownership, complete the register or transfer a hair, beauty or skin penetration business form.
Applications take a minimum of 15 business days to process.