Find out about requirements for traffic management plans and permits for road works and events.
All Traffic Management Plans must be prepared by a professional traffic consultant or company and must be in accordance with Australian Standard AS 1742.3 2009.
If works are on an arterial road you must have consent from the Department of Transport and Planning.
Traffic management plans
If you want to close access to a road for your event, you will need to apply for a permit and plan appropriate traffic management.
At least three months before your event, you will need to apply for approvals from:
- The City for all local roads
- VicRoads for highways and major roads
- Victoria Police if a Police permit is required
- Public Transport Victoria – to delay, divert, cancel or require additional PT services
Notifying organisations and agencies of a road closure
Once road closure approvals have been granted, you need to provide notification to the following organisations:
- All emergency services – Police, CFA, SES, Ambulance Victoria
- Taxi Association of Bendigo
- Bus services
- Bendigo Hospital
You also need to place a public notice in local papers and inform any business and/or residents who may be affected.
Only qualified personnel are allowed to perform road closures and provide traffic management assistance.
The City's Works Unit can arrange for the signs, barriers, traffic management plans and personnel on merit via an approval process - fees may apply.